How Do You Cure Breathlessness?
Breathlessness is a common problem faced by many. Shortness of breath occurs when a person finds it hard to breathe in enough air and can be mild, moderate or severe in some cases. The medical term used to describe this condition is called as Dyspnea.
So, how do you cure breathlessness? Though common, breathlessness can be very distressing. If the condition is not due to an underlying illness, it can be managed with simple remedies and lifestyle changes at home. In this blog, we will explore a few remedies patients can follow at home for relief from breathlessness. Before you start using any of these remedies, it is also important to understand the reasons for the shortness of breath.
Shortness of breath can occur suddenly in some people for a short span of time. If you experience breathlessness regularly, it helps to find out the underlying cause of the same, as it can be due to a health condition. Breathlessness that occurs all of a sudden needs immediate medical attention as well.
There are various causes for the same, and some of them are mentioned below.
The Common Causes
If you experience breathlessness, often it can be due to
- Pollutants and allergens in the air
- Temperatures being extreme
- Extreme workouts
- Stress or Anxiety
The Underlying Causes
Breathlessness can also occur due to underlying conditions that affect your lungs or your heart. Both the lungs and heart aid in the carrying of oxygen around our body and help get rid of carbon dioxide. Any health condition related to these organs can cause shortness of breath.
Some of the conditions that can cause breathlessness include,
- Lung Cancer
- Tuberculosis or other lung diseases
- Abnormal functioning of the heart
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
The Acute Causes
There are a few causes of breathlessness that need immediate medical attention. Some of them are,
- Sudden and severe allergic reaction
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Heart enlargement
- A blood clot in the lungs or heart
- Poisoning due to carbon monoxide
- Inhaling of a foreign object
Home Remedies for Breathlessness
When you know the cause for breathlessness and are certain that it is not due to a health condition, you can try treating it at home with simple remedies. If you are not certain, it is advised to visit a doctor for a physical examination.
Breathing exercises work like a charm when you suffer from breathlessness. Try and practice deep breathing through your abdomen. This can be done the following way.
- Lie down flat and place your hands on your abdomen
- Start breathing deeply through the nose, expand the abdomen and allow your lungs to be filled with air
- Try holding the breath for a few seconds
- Breathe slowly from the mouth and empty the lungs
- Try and repeat the exercise for about 5 or 10 minutes
This exercise can be done many times, and whenever a person experiences breathlessness.
Breathing through Pursed Lip
Another effective breathing exercise you can practice is “pursed-lip breathing.” This helps reduce shortness of breath and works well if the cause of the condition is stress or anxiety. To try it at home you need to,
- Sit on the chair and relax your shoulders
- Press your lips together and keep a little gap between them, just in the middle
- Inhale through your nose for a few seconds
- Next, exhale through the pursed lips after counting to four
- Continue doing this exercise for a few minutes, or till you feel better
Sit in a Comfortable Position
Always sit in a comfortable position or stand in a supported position to relax your body and catch your breath. If you are suffering from breathlessness due to anxiety, you can use this treatment to be very helpful. Try the positions mentioned below to feel better.
- Support your head by a table when sitting forward on a chair
- Lean against the wall to support your back
- When standing, take support on a chair or a table so that you take the weight off your feet
- Lie down and support your knees or your head with pillows
People suffering from shortness of breath need to keep their nasal passages very clear, and inhaling steam can help you with it. The steam helps break down the mucus in the nose of the lungs and provides relief from breathlessness.
Fill a bowl with hot water and cover your face with a towel and inhale the steam. You can as well use steam machines that are easily available at 24-hour chemist Delhi. Make sure to be careful while handling hot boiled water.
Changes in Lifestyle
People can make changes to your lifestyle, depending on the cause of breathlessness. This can help get rid of some symptoms that are causing trouble. Some of the changes you can make to your lifestyle are,
- Lose weight if the cause of your breathing problem is obesity
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid working out in very hot conditions
- Do not smoke
- Stay away from pollutants or allergens
- Stick to your treatment plans for the treatment of any underlying health condition
When should you see a doctor?
People who experience breathlessness regularly need to visit a doctor without any delay. If the cause has been diagnosed already, try using the treatments mentioned above. In a few cases, breathlessness can be caused due to a concern, and you need to seek immediate medical attention, if,
- You sudden and very severe shortness of breath
- Having pain in your chest along with breathlessness
Never ignore any symptoms or signs associated with shortness of breath. If you feel uncertain about the causes or experience other symptoms like nausea, headache, etc, do visit CBR Hospitals, one of the Best Hospitals in South Delhi immediately.